Energiewende Twinning Towns
Municipalities are a key pillar of the German energy transition, known as the Energiewende. With innovative and ambitious energy concepts, and together with local public utilities and citizens, cities and communities are putting the Energiewende into practice. Being the local planning authority in charge, they are well acquainted with the local conditions. Therefore, municipalities are a strong force behind the successful growth of renewable energy and energy efficiency, balancing the interests of citizens and local economy.
Starting in 2017, the project “Energiewende twinning towns” supports the exchange of knowledge and experience between German municipalities and their European partner communities.
Planned or existing cooperations between cities or communities can gain new inputs and at the same time foster the spirit of European cooperation as well as sustainable energy supply.
The project is facilitated by the Renewable Energies Agency and Humboldt-Viadrina Governance Platform to ensure a systematic exhange of practical knowledge related to renewable energy technologies and political expertise across borders.
- Apply now as Energiewende twinning town 2019/20
Does your municipality or your local public utility promote renewable energies? Do you already have experiences related to renewable energies? Are you in contact with European communities and willing to share your knowledge and experience? Are you looking for inspiration through exchange? If so, the project Energiewende twinning towns could be interesting for you!
The project is funded by the Federal Foreign Office of Germany. It aims at existing or planned cooperations between cities or communities that intend to deepen or initiate their cooperation on renewable energies. The core of the project are bilateral workshops in one of the twinning municipalities, which offer municipal authorities and local stakeholders such as public utilities the opportunity to exchange experience and transfer knowledge. In moderated workshops, you will be able to exchange practical know-how related to renewable energy technologies. Depending on your needs, you may also focus on the exchange of know-how on issues such as management, spatial planning, financing and the participation of citizens in energy transition processes.
Your municipality would like to focus more on topics of the energy transition but you do not have yet a European partner community? Please get in touch with us. We will support you finding a suitable “Energiewende twinning town”.
An expert jury will review the ingoing applications and choose five town twinning pairs. These twinning towns will get the chance to present and discuss their ideas in the kick-off-event on May 28th 2019 in Berlin.
What will be funded?
· Kick-off event on 28 May 2019: representatives from the participating communities get to know each other and present their projects and ideas. The event will be held at the Federal Foreign Office and includes an excursion to a good-practice-project in Berlin.
· Two moderated Online-Webinars: The first webinar aims to jointly determine the topics of the workshop. The second webinar will be used as a follow-up of the workshop.
· One Workshop in one of the twinning towns is dedicated to initiate new projects. Solutions on how to tackle open questions and obstacles should be proposed. The twinning towns can set up individual timelines and initiative further steps.
· Final event in the second half of 2020: The aim of the event is to ensure a transfer of knowledge between the communities. The twinning towns present their workshop results and the participating local representatives get the chance to strengthen their European network for a sustainable energy transition at the local level.
Who can apply?
All European municipalities that already have a cooperation or plan to launch a partnership with a German community can apply. The cooperation should foster the mutual exchange of knowledge related to promoting renewable energies on a local level. The communities involved can be cities, municipalities or local districts.
The cooperation does not necessarily need to be a formal twinning agreement. Any form of cooperation or a common letter of intent is sufficient.
· Experience with projects related to the energy transition on a local level
· Readiness to share experience and knowledge in a workshop
· Willingness to provide suitable premises to host a workshop
· Readiness to travel
· Sufficient level of proficiency in English in both communities
· Application deadline is 15 March 2019. We are happy to receive an informal expression of interest until 31 January 2019.
Agentur für Erneuerbare Energien/ German Renewable Energies Agency
Invalidenstraße 91, 10115 Berlin
Phone: +49 30 200 535 40
HUMBOLDT-VIADRINA Governance Platform gGmbH
Pariser Platz 6, 10117 Berlin
Phone: +49 30 206 620140
- Pilot Phase 2017
Energiewende twinning towns 2017
Until May 24th 2017 European communities could apply for the pilot project „Energiewende twinning towns“. In the kick-off event in June 2017 five town pairs presented their cooperation and local projects related to the energy transition.
The German town Friedberg and their Portuguese twinning town Entroncamento as well as Grevesmühlen and their Swedish twinning town Laxa convinced the jury and further elaborated their bilateral cooperation in workshops on the energy transition.
In November 2017 bilateral workshops were carried out in Entroncamento and Laxa respectively. In these moderated workshops, the participants from both municipalities were able to exchange practical know-how of renewable energy projects in their towns and related issues such as management, spatial planning, financing and the participation of citizens in energy transition processes.
Further information on the workshops can be found in the final report of the project here: (in German only).